Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Turning green! Or maybe just olive for now.

 I recently stumbled upon the blog Frugal by Choice, Cheap by Necessity (FCCN) and am slowly becoming obsessed.  One of the posts really caught my attention.  I would be lying to say the title didn't draw me to the post.  It was the main reason I decided to check out this blog.  This post discusses F.A.R.T.S.  te he. 

Definition?

Frugal
Actions
Related
To
Sustainability

This woman sets goals for herself and her family to lessen their carbon footprint on this world, make their wallets a little heavier and hearts a little lighter with F.A.R.T.S.  I am inspired!

Since getting hitched and moving to Dubai, Ben and I have been working on budgeting and figuring out what works best for us both and our lifestyle.  We have stopped eating out unless it is socially (for the most part.  Sometimes we slip. . . fries are essential to life on occasion.) and do a lot more cooking at home.  We tend to stick to what we know, but I do try and find some new recipe to try each week.  The problem with our classic and new recipes is that the stores here are not a reliable source for ingredients.  You really never know what will or will not be in at any given time.  Case and point - Ben and I were craving biscuits and gravy and Pillsbury biscuits were no where to be found.  Poop.  Instead of giving up hope I hit up Google for an easy biscuit recipe.  Found one, made them, they were awesome!!  SOOOO much better than Pillsbury!  You can read about it and find the recipe here.  The point of my rambling is that even before I knew about F.A.R.T.S., I successfully made one!  Pillsbury no more for this family!

So what next?

I have not yet figured out a something to do while still in Dubai, but when we return home I am excited to try a couple new things. 

1.  Cloth napkins.  Have a slew of them and ditch the paper napkins!  On FCCN she mentions that they have a spot for used, but reusable cloth napkins and for fresh, clean napkins.  Excellent idea!  How many times do you grab a napkin, wipe nothing off of your mouth once and throw it away?  Or is that just me?

2.  Bake my own bread.  This will likely be a work in progress for a long time to come, but there are people who make all of their own bread and never touch store bought.  They are my heroes.

3.  Learn to sew.  Once we are back in the States and settled somewhere I want to purchase a sewing machine and take classes.  I think it is ridiculous that a person of my height does not know how to hem a pair of pants.  It's like $10 to have someone else do it in Iowa City.  Dumb.  I also would like to learn how to do more crafty things with sewing.  Maybe put some of my Pinterest ideas into the works!

4.  A garden.  Start small and work my way up.  I have essentially no experience in the garden, may kill everything, but if something survives or pushes through I will have a celebration! Everyone is invited to feast on one tomato! Woooo!  But seriously, I would like to give it a shot!  Veggies and herbs and maybe some sunflowers.  Just because they are pretty.  Ben has extensive experience so I will look to him.

Big ambitions and excited to experiment!! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment