Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Bookworm


True statement.

I notice that quite often on Facebook people ask their 'friends' for suggestions on good books to read.  I am guilty of such a post myself, so I thought that I would put together a list of some of the books I have read recently and share some of my thoughts.  I tend to vary in what genre I choose to read, so hopefully my list is diverse enough that no matter your preference, you can find something enjoyable to you.  My current guilty pleasure are young adult series based around supernatural creatures (vampires, faeries, witches, etc.). 
So here we go!

1.  The Fever Series (Darkfever, Bloodfever, Faefever, Dreamfever, Shadowfever) by Karen Marie Moning

This is probably one of the best series that I have read since Harry Potter.  (If you don't like Harry Potter, then what the heck is wrong with you? AND forget that reference.)  It is a five book series that is told through the eyes of a strong, female character named Mac.  Her sister was killed in Dublin and she goes abroad to investigate the murder herself.  She learns that she is a sidh-seer (SHE seer) and can see/kill fae, which are taking over Dublin and murdering tons of people in the process.  I don't want to dive into details too deeply because you seriously need to read this series and find them out yourself.  The books were well written (WAY better than that Twilight crap) and hard to put down. 

2.  Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

A classic that never gets old. 

3.  The Vampire Academy Series (Vampire Academy, Frostbite, Shadow Kiss, Blood Promise, Spirit Bound, Last Sacrifice) by Richelle Mead

So these were good, and I would recommend them, but I don't see myself re-reading this like I do Harry Potter, or WILL with The Fever Series.  First off, the main character, Rose, has a thing with one of her instructors.  Rose is 17.  Dimitri, her instructor, is 25.  Uh, ewe?! Find a chick your own age, buddy!!  BUT if you look past that and pretend that Rose is in college and not high school you are able to read the series and feel a little less dirty.  I enjoyed this series because it had more to it than another vampire books I have read.  There are two different kinds of vampires: (1) Moroi - vampires who are born vampires.  No humans can become moroi. Good vampires - peaceful; (2) Strigoi - Humans and moroi can become strigoi by either force or choice.  Bad vampires - deadly.  Then there are those that are half moroi/half human that are guardians of the moroi.  They go to school to learn to kick ass and the moroi go to school to enhance their strengths.  Strigoi just kill people and each other.  All-in-all a good series, slows down around the 4th and 5th book, but picks up in the 6th. 

4.  The Immoral Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

This was a very interesting read.  If you didn't know (I sure didn't. . . ), Henrietta Lacks' cells are responsible for many, many medical discoveries and breakthroughs.  Doctors took cells from a tumor on Henrietta's cervix to do tests and junk and found that her cells continued to multiply instead of die like all the other cells they had collected.  This books discusses her life and her family as well as her contribution to the medical field. 



5.  The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling

I was hoping for another brilliant book by JK and was disappointed.  I am embarrassed to admit I didn't finish this one.  I got a ways into it and still wasn't interested in the characters or what was going on.  It appears that other people have had the same troubles with the book.  There are mixed reviews and it seems people either love it or hate it.  You can give it a go and see which side you're on, but I know where I stand - at Disappointment Station!

6.  Why Me? by Sarah Burleton

This is her story of growing up with an abusive mother.  I don't remember much from reading this, but I do know I was never completely sucked in.  Many of the reviews said it was like she was fishing for sympathy, and I guess I can see that.  (Although in my opinion, if you had to suffer abuse of any kind you deserve a bit of sympathy and hopefully support!).  This book comes no where close to being as heart-wrenching and awful as A Child Called It, but was worth the quick read, I suppose.

7.  AUTHOR:  Jean Sasson 

Books I have read by Jean include: The Princess Series (Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia, Princess Sultana's Sisters, Princess Sultana's Circle) and Growing Up bin Laden: Osama's Wife and Son Take Us Inside Their Secret World

This woman writes beautifully and has had some amazing experiences in her life.  The books I have read by her have been eye opening and inspirational.  The Princess Series is about a Saudi princess and the different parts of her life.  It gives you an inside look into the lives of some Middle Eastern women.  Growing Up bin Laden was excellent as well and probably one of the closet looks we can get into his life.  I know that there are mixed feelings in the world regarding bin Laden so that book might not be for everyone.  It doesn't glorify him, it simply tells the story of one of his wives and sons. 

8. We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
Letters written from a wife to her husband after their son committed mass murder at his high school.  I have to admit that I watched the movie first and then read the book.  Both are excellent, but the book obviously gives more detail and helps to explain some of the things that happen in the movie that I had questions about.  A very dark book, especially with recent events, that was hard to put down once I got into it.  I initially thought I wasn't interested, started to read something else, and had to go back to it because I couldn't get it out of my head.  The movie was excellent as well.  The boys they casted for Kevin portrayed him perfectly, and it was nice to see John C. Reilly in a different role.

9.  Divergent AND Insurgent by Veronica Roth

A strong female character in a dystopian society trying to figure out who she is and what she is supposed to do with her life.  At 16, Tris must choose which faction she will be a part of for the rest of her life.  She must choose from Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent).  After her decision is made, she must make it through initiation to be accepted into the faction.  There is corruption all around her and as everything falls apart, she is faced with tough choices.  Ben and I both read these two books this summer and couldn't put them down.  There will be a third book in the series and Divergent will come to theaters in 2014.  I highly recommend reading the books prior to the moving being released.  You never know what they will change/leave out!

10.  Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony by Jeff Ashton

I don't think anyone will be forgetting this case in the near future.  When this case went to trial, I had it up every day at work and followed the news reports.  The story of Caylee Anthony captured America's attention.  This book was written by the prosecuting attorney, Jeff Ashton.  There is quite a bit of "look at me, I'm so awesome" that happens in the book, but there are also 'facts' from the case and an in depth look at the prosecution's side of the story.  Since I stalked CNN daily for any updates on the case, I was fascinated with the book. 

11.  Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account by Miklos Nyiszli

A chilling story of a forensic pathologist that worked with Dr. Mengele at Auschwitz/Birkneau.  There are things in this book that make your stomach flip.  If you have any interested in the Holocaust or concentration camps, this book is one of the best.  (or worst?). 

12.  Night by Elie Weisel

A chilling account of a teenagers survival in the Nazi concentration camps.  This book has become ranked among the classics and for good reason.  I couldn't put it down.

13.  Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

This was a fun read.  I enjoyed the twists and turns of the two different worlds you get to experience.  The book has pictures of the peculiars that are fun to look at and picture the children as you read.  I believe they are making this book into a movie and Tim Burton will be directing!!  SCORE!






14.  My Friend is Sad by Mo Willems

A kids book, but a super-dee-duper cute kids book!!  WITH AN ELEPHANT! :)   I came across this while working in the library and instantly loved it!  It reminded me of my seester, Lyssa.  I immediately got online and ordered a copy to be sent to her.  'Tis our new favorite book of all books EVER!  


That is all I've got for now! 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment