Saturday, April 13, 2013

Bookworm 2.0

True statement.
Since I read 5 1/2 books over spring break, I thought it would be a good time to do another book list! I tend to vary in what genre I choose to read, so hopefully my list is diverse enough that no matter your preference, you can find something enjoyable to you.
 
 
  1.  Call the Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth
 
  This was an excellent, fast read suggested to me by my sister-in-law.  It takes place in London during the 1950's.  Twenty-two year old Jenny leaves her home to move into a covenant to learn to be a midwife.  She meets some very interesting women whose stories draw you in and amaze you. 
 
I quite enjoyed reading this book, which is now a mini-series on PBS, I believe.  It is well worth the time of reading!
 
 
2.  Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr
 
In this book you enter a world full of demons, witches and other supernatural creatures.  Much like The Hunger Games, Carnival of Souls is a fighting match to become part of the ruling elite. Aya is already a part of the high class, but wants to write her own fate instead of having it decided for her.  Then there is Mallory who lives in the human world.  She is always on the run with her father and is soon to discover many secrets and truths about who she really is. 

This book definitely drew me in and I was highly disappointed when it ended with NO sequel currently published. . . Impatiently awaiting the 2nd book!

3.  The House of Night Series (Books 1-10) by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast

I really enjoy the young adult paranormal/supernatural books that have strong female characters and twists to what is typically 'believed' of vampires, werewolves, witches, etc.  This series focuses on vampires.  Instead of being purely evil or sparkly, the vampires worship their goddess, Nyx.  You are not made a vampire by a bite, but you are marked by Nyx.  After being marked you go to the House of Night which is a special school for vampires.  Not everyone is able to make the change to a vampire.  Some die before the process is complete.  Some vampires have special gifts and affinities that their goddess blessed them with.  One such vampire is Zoey Redbird.  She faces anything from boy issues to evil and darkness coming at her full-fledged.  She is 16 years old, and the writers did an excellent job of writing her character.  It is truly like you are in the mind of a 16 year old with her random thoughts and expressions. I am currently at the end of the 8th book and am still hooked!

4.  Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape by Jenna Miscavige Hill, Lisa Pulitzer

I chose to read this book because I am always interested in learning about different beliefs in the world and Scientology is mentioned quite often.  More often than not I hear it brought up jokingly in reference to some kind of crazy displayed by Tom Cruise and I was interested in learning more about it instead of remaining ignorant.  This title specifically caught my attention because this girl had a 'harrowing escape' from Scientology.  Why would you need to escape?

It was hard for me to get into, and took a book or two in between to actual finish it, but it was worth my time. 

5.  The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

I absolutely heart Jennifer Lawrence!
This was an interesting and quick read. It is about a man, Pat, who was in a mental facility for quite some time due to a violent act against his wife's lover.  He is completely clueless as to how long he was in treatment and what happened with his wife.  His mom takes him out of the mental facility and he moves in with his parents.  He is a bit socially awkward and struggles with getting back in the flow of things.  Pat meets Tiffany at a supper with his best friend.  Her husband recently passed away and she, too, is living with her parents.  She begins and awkward friendship with Pat, and that friendship ultimately helps to 'fix' them. 

I really enjoyed this book, but they could have layed off the constant chant of the Eagles.  It got to the point where I would completely skip over that portion of reading because I didn't want to hear about them flapping their wings and yelling and singing the fight song. Ugh. Otherwise, it was really good!  I watched the movie after finish the book and it was quite good as well.  It didn't follow the book completely, so if you have already watched the movie you can still read the book and find new things to keep you interested.

6.  Damaged by Cathy Glass

This is a heartbreaking story about a little girl named Jodie who comes to live with Cathy and her family.  Cathy is a foster mom and has taken in troubled children many times before, but none that were quite as damaged as Jodie.  In her time with Cathy, Jodie slowly reveals the horrors that she has lived through and what has become her norm.  If you liked A Child Called It, you will likely 'enjoy' this book as well.  I say enjoy in quotations, because there is so much about this book that is NOT enjoyable.  Knowing this is based on truth just disgusts and horrifies you. 

7.  Reason to Breathe & Barely Breathing by Rebecca Donovan

This is a story of Emma Thomas.  Her father died in a car accident and her mother was too drugged up to take care of her, so she went to live with her aunt and uncle.  Her aunt is abusive and makes her life completely miserable.  When Evan moves into town and takes notice of Emma, things start to change. She begins to enjoy her life and to open herself up to friendships.  At home, things only get worse.  Emma eventually decides to move in with her mother after her aunt almost kills her, which ends up being another kind of disaster.  The books are definitely geared for high school kids and so I found it rather juvenile at times, but enjoyed it nonetheless.  A third book should be coming out soon and I look forward to reading more about Emma!

8.  Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan

I am always intrigued to read about other people's crazy, so this book instantly caught my attention.  This is a memoir of a young reporter's struggle with a 'rare and terrifying disease,  opening a new window into the fascinating world of brain science.'  I often found the medical talk to be a bit of a snooze (and admittedly skimmed over most of it), but really enjoyed the more 'real' things revealed.

 
 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment