Saturday, November 10, 2012

A month in two weeks....yowza

I don't know how everyone else feels about the past couple of weeks, but so much has been going on here that I feel like it has been a month instead of just 14 days. . .  This possibly could be due to the fact I have started a new job in which I have mountains of work to do and it seems never ending.  I accepted a job at Collegiate American School (where Ben works) as their teacher resource manager and I also cover the library part-time.  Essentially my job is to organize all of the textbooks, manipulatives and reading materials and input a system to keep track of the materials.  I wish I could convey to you how huge a job this is, but words fail me at the moment.  I was sent to another school in the district for training and they have a great system there, so I am working on getting that going at our school.  CAS is only on its second year so there is still much work to be done and progress to be made in setting up their own systems and what not.  Training went well, although I was a bit overwhelmed with how much there was to learn.  This past week I was able to actually put together the teacher resource center at CAS and have things a bit more accessible than sitting around in boxes.  Of course, the day after I had everything shelved they brought in a HUGE shipment and new books and manipulatives and my room is completely trashed again.  Grrr....

My room!


Class pets?
 So, my home at school is above.  This was taken after I had started a little bit of arranging, but had much more to go.  Now my room is overflowing with crap again.  I have two bathrooms in my room and a small kitchenette.  Pretty baller. 

These two birdies on the clock are there every day at about the same time.  Class pets?  Perhaps.

Perks of working with a spouse


I have found there is a perk to working with your spouse - occasional cups of hot chocolate hand delivered to your desk.  :)   We have a machine at work that you push the hot chocolate button and it spits out delicious sweetness.  After texting my wonderful husband to see if he had any chocolate (I had a craving. . . ), he showed up a while later with this hot chocolate!  Even though we work in the same building we don't really see each other that often.  He is very busy with class and all of his other work and I am swamped in the library and TRC. 


Evaporated Milk = Creamer
O!  Something I found interesting and awesome is that they use evaporated milk for creamer!!  YUM!!!!  Ma and I LOVE evaporated milk and we can drink it right out of the can.  Gross and unhealthy?  Yes.....  It's just so goooood!  Anyway, when I was training at DIA one of the ladies made me coffee and tea and put the evaporated milk in it and it was delicious!








Last weekend Ben had a conference that he attended to earn credit for his masters on Friday and Saturday, so I decided to go to the Dubai flea market with a friend.  I didn't really know what to expect but hoped for greatness.  The flea market was in Al Safa Park which was huge and green and wonderful!  When we arrived at the area of the park where the flea market was, we discovered that it was essentially a multi-cultural yard sale!  It was sooooo cool!!  I had a couple really awesome finds - an Arabic painting that Ben and I both love, a necklace made by an African woman and a few traditional Indian casual dresses.  I L-O-V-E the Indian dresses!!  These women know what they are doing!!  The dresses are insanely comfortable and lightweight.  It is basically like wearing pajamas except you still look cute because the dresses are gorgeous.  Diwali is coming up this week and we are allowed to dress up at school, so I will be wearing one of my new dresses!!  Pictures will follow!

This past week I had to do another border run to Oman.  This time my visa wasn't expired so it was a lot less costly which was a plus.  There were three of us from CAS that needed to go and we had a driver and van to take us.  Since it was still daylight when we left, I was able to read a bit and also enjoy the company of coworkers.  We left right after school so we stopped at the BK Lounge and then headed off.  We stopped along the way so that our driver, Kamel, could pray.  It was rather humorous because I thought we were pulling over with something wrong with the van, Sharon thought that we had made it to the border and the other woman thought a bathroom break or something.  I guess it was a bit more humorous if you were there. . . We made it through the border run with no hiccups.  Since I knew to expect men with large guns it was less daunting this time.

Mountains on the way to Oman.
This weekend was spent reading, relaxing and enjoying time in with friends.  Ben hadn't gotten to sleep in for a couple of weeks so he was excited to just relax and I needed to just be still and let my body rest.  (Lots of heavy lifting and constantly on my feet.)  We both feel as though we could use an extra day tacked onto this weekend, but the next two weeks will be 4 day weeks for us, so we can't complain to much.  I have been put in charge of the bulletin boards in the library  so I am excited to let my creativity show!!  The only thing is that they don't have a ton of materials for the boards, so a trip to the craft store might be in the near future.  O, last week at the Thursday morning meeting that staff has each week I was awarded "The Bucket", which is passed around teacher-to-teacher to recognize hard work.  I hadn't heard of the bucket or what it was, but was excited to get something with lots of yummy treats in it!!  This week I will pass it along to someone else and am on the lookout for the deserving candidate!  Honestly, everyone at the school deserves it! 

Anyway....I am sorry for my lack luster post, but I am still worn out and not all that mentally alive right now.  I'm thinking bed early tonight so I can be in a decent mood tomorrow!!

O!  Since working in the library the past couple of weeks, I have started to look into what I need to do to become an elementary librarian.  I know it has only been two weeks, but I LOVE the library!!  I want to be the librarian and have things to get kids pumped up about reading.  I want to be able to help them find the resources they need to finish a report or project.  I have found that in the key places Ben and I are looking to relocate that there are colleges accredited by the ALA in which I can obtain a Masters in Library Science.  Yes, you need a masters.  I admit I was a little floored by this.  A librarian needs a masters?!  But there will be more on that topic later to come.  I am excited about this possible career path, though.  It would allow me to be creative, organized and share my passion for reading. 

Alright.  I'm out of fuel.

Coming up:

Snorkeling
25th bday
Thanksgiving

 

No comments:

Post a Comment