Wednesday, November 28, 2012

My Friend, My Seester :)

Seesters  :)
 
Below is the Maid of Honor speech written by my Elsie for Ben's and my wedding.  I feel truly honored and blessed that such an amazing woman wrote this for me.  She is more than a best friend; she is family.  She is a sister to me and will always be a huge part of my life. 
 
While Lyssa was not able to attend our wedding due to a prior obligation, she made the trek to Minneapolis after work on July 12th to have a girls night and celebrate.  True to form, we went to Target and bought as much junk food as possible (adding to what Lyssa had already packed), got some disgustingly delicious McDonald's and rented The Hunger Games from the hotel TV. 

Our wedding celebration feast!

Prior to our feast she read me her speech.  I may be biased, but I'm pretty sure this is the absolute best maid of honor speech I have EVER heard.  :) 

"Despite the fact that I delivered my first maid of honor speech in February, I have to admit that when I hear that phrase, it's you that I think of. For as long as I can remember, I have been looking forward to the day that I get to speak at your wedding reception. I've been mentally filing embarrassing snippets for years in anticipation of this moment. Well, I could not be happier that this day has finally come. It's crazy to think that a decade ago a comment about your hypothetical wedding to Ben might have elicited a giggle and you rolling your eyes (sorry Ben) and today you walked down the aisle toward your future with him.

I could ramble on and on about how happy I am for you, but instead I think I need to make a few things clear for Ben's sake...

First: There are certain things that will always be special between me and Lyndsey. If you attempt to take credit for them or make them something that belongs to you two, I will hurt you. These things include, but are not limited to: Totino's pizzas, Trolli Eggs, Chinese take-out & movie dates, orange rolls, sex on the beach, and the nicknames Lilly & Elsie.

Second: Marrying my best friend means wholeheartedly accepting everything about her. This list includes, but is not limited to: the surprising amount of noise that comes from every orifice on that girl's body - and the scents that often accompany said noises, the, shall we say, enthusiastic way she wakes people up in the morning, her free commentary during movies, the way she enjoys pushing people's buttons for no reason other than her own entertainment, and the borderline inappropriate relationship she holds with the devil come to life (I think she calls him Grover).

Third: Even though you and I are friends (as evidenced by a drawing of Calvin & Hobbes from back in the day), if you ever hurt my twin, there will be hell to pay. Just saying.

And lastly: I couldn't be happier that after a decade of loving Lyndsey, she has finally realized that she loves you too. You might not know this, but Lyndsey and I have this habit of initiating three-way phone calls without the caller realizing it. By this I mean, when one of us gets a phone call, unless we leave the room it is fair game for the other to be a part of the conversation. Lyndsey always left the room to talk to you, but she didn't always close her door. I could tell from the tone of her voice and the look on her face that she had been talking to you. Before she even realized it, she would glow after she talked to you. You make her happy in a way that I know nobody else has ever come close to. You compliment her in every aspect of her life. In short, you are perfect for her. Bear with me while I quote one of those romantic comedies she and I love so much:

To say you [she is my] best friend is the understatement of the century. [She's] the sister I never had. [She's] sometimes the mother I often need. The reason why I can stumble fearlessly into adventure is because she’s always there. She’s always there....

...and now she'll be there for you and I couldn't be happier about it.

Please join me in raising our glasses and toasting my best friend and the love of her life. Congratulations, Ben and Lyndsey!!"


Love you, Elsie!  :)

Your Lilly. 

typical.... (2008)
typical.... (2012)








No comments:

Post a Comment