Friday, January 20, 2017

2016 Presidential Election / 2017 Inauguration


I exercised my right to vote in the 2016 Presidential Election, therefore I have earned the right to be upset with its outcome.

I just watched a live-stream of the inauguration of Donald Trump. I am still in disbelief that this was the outcome of the election and continue to be filled with fear and sorrow. What I try to remind myself is that this man did NOT win the popular vote. HRC had the popular lead by nearly 2.9 million American votes. #imwithher

As much as I have tried, I cannot seam to muster any positivity towards this new presidency. I cried on November 9th, 2016 when I learned the outcome of the election. I cried today, January 20, 2017, as I watched the live-stream of the inauguration. 

As a woman, I feel threatened. There are individuals who believe that women are not equal to men (among an additional array of issues facing women). Meryl Streep put it perfectly in her speech at the Golden Globes:

"...when it's modeled by someone in the public platform, by someone powerful, it filters down into everybody's life, because it kind of gives permission for other people to do the same thing. Disrespect invites disrespect." 

She was referring to Trump mocking a disabled journalist, but it holds true to any form of disrespect, xenophobia, homophobia, you name it. I will be entering a male-dominated profession within the next four years. The thought of men (or anyone) mirroring Trump's behaviors is TERRIFYING. I know there are many men who would not mirror his behaviors. This is not a man-bashing/man-hating thing. It is just how I feel at this moment.

I wish I could be at the Women's March on Washington tomorrow. 

[This post is not my greatest, but I felt I should memorialize my feelings on this day. I do not wish for Trump to fail - I wish for him to prove me wrong in my fears.]

No comments:

Post a Comment